Like every artisan leather crafter needs a sharp set of awls, web designers, and web developers needs a good laptop to call their own. There are so many different laptops available in the market. For programming and gaming, you need more processing power and good battery life. So the question is which laptop is best for programming and best laptops for coding in 2016.
The wrong laptop may hinder your web development efforts, so it’s important to choose the right one to fit your needs. This article will provide tips and guidance to help you choose the right laptop for web design and web development.
Many people will say “go with Apple, because it is a UNIX-based operating system”, and that is a very valid point. Having access to a Terminal that “just works” with minimal configuration is a massive win.
If you had asked me this question a couple of months ago, hands down I would have toed the traditional party line and recommended the Apple MacBook Pro 13″. If you have some specific requirements, your ecosystem will vary. For example, you will need Mac O.S. for developing iOS applications. Similarly, you will need Windows if you are developing apps for Windows phones/desktops. If you are doing shell scripting, Linux is what you need. If you are going to develop apps in ASP .Net then you need windows laptop.
How to Choose Best Laptop For Programming in 2016
But According to my personal experience, Apple Macbook Pro is the best programming language for iOS development, Android Development, Java Programming, ASP .Net and PHP Programming. For Linux Scripting, you must need Linux Programming language.
First of all, you have to select your budget for programming laptop:
- Low Budget programming language —$150-350
- Mid-Range programming language – $350-700
- High-End programming language – $700-1000
- Performance programming language – $1000
The Price of Apple Macbook Pro is bit higher but believe me, you can’t find such powerful processor in another laptop. The SSD means it boots up and wakes from sleep very quickly. You don’t realize what an improvement this is until you use a computer whose primary drive is an SSD. My desktop with a traditional drive “feels” much slower despite having more advanced hardware in every other department. Here are some advantages of Apple Macbook Pro:
- MultiTouch works fantastic.
- Gestures are easily configurable.
- Your finger tracks across the screen accurately, and without jitters.
- The glass is smooth, yet provides just enough friction.
- Your palm doesn’t constantly send your pointer haywire.
- The software matches the hardware beautifully.
If you don’t have anything specific in mind, my recommendation is an Asus Zenbook UX305CA. It is easily the second best ultra-portable out there, only after the XPS 13. You will have an option of either a QHD+ or a full HD display, depending on the market. For the Indian market, the full HD version costs about 56k (13.3 inches, 6th Gen Core M, 256 GB SSD).
- Weighs in at about 1.2 KGs. Can be carried around easily.
- IPS display with wide viewing angles and color gamut.
- Noiseless cooling (no fans).
- A battery will last you 7-8 hours or more depending on your usage.
- It is easily serviceable, so you can add more storage or RAM as per your requirement.
- The keyboard has a good key travel and back-light.
As a good Programmer / Developer what you need is,
- OS: Windows 7/8/10 Ultimate 64bit.
- CPU (Dual-core): Intel Atom or AMD A4 at a basic clock speed of 1.2Ghz / or Intel i5 Processor
- RAM: 8GB for running multiple emulators and browsing/uploading/downloading to and from servers.
- HDD: 500GB at 7200rpm or 256/512GB SSD.
- Ports: USB 2/3, HDMI, DVI, VGA.
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi AC band is the latest and fastest so, give priority to laptops with this wireless advantage.
- Screen: 15 inch or above.